The Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling is seeking a FT and PT Gambling Education Advisor to staff the GameSense Information Center at the Plainridge Park Casino in Plainville, MA. The program’s mission is to mitigate problem gambling and to promote a positive approach to play by delivering services and information in a friendly, trustworthy and fun way. Reporting to the GameSense Supervisor, the ideal Advisor will be comfortable greeting and talking to players and casino staff about how different games work, dispelling myths about gambling, and implementing responsible gambling techniques. Full-time positions are 5 days a week from 5pm-1am (there may be some flexibility on which days). Part-time positions are 2 days a week from 5pm-1am. Benefits are available to FT staff.
GameSense is the first of its kind program in the United States and we are seeking highly motivated candidates to help the program grow! You can learn more about the GameSense program at: http://gamesensema.com/
Essential Job Functions:
- Greet and build relationships with casino guests
- Educate casino guests regarding concepts of responsible gaming through demonstration activities
- Maintain current knowledge and statistics about gambling, responsible gambling and gambling disorder through reading field literature and professional development activities
- Host GameSense educational open houses and events
- Assist players with technical features that allow them to control their play and loss limits
Resource/Program Development and Evaluation:
- Assess the needs of players and staff to determine best approach to programming
- Develop new ideas and concepts to implement into future events
- Manage and follow evaluation protocol as instructed by HMS/DOA.
Onsite Support and Referral
- Provide compassionate and empathetic listening to all casino guests
- Plan and execute appropriate brief intervention and referral strategies for guests or staff exhibiting problem gambling behaviors
- Assist any individuals with concerns about a family member struggling with gambling
- Explain and lead interested patrons through the voluntary self-exclusion program application and process
Training and Operator/Regulator Staff Development
- Deliver training sessions to operator and regulatory staff and managers
- Attend casino staff meetings
- Build effective working relationships with Massachusetts Gaming Commission and Plainridge Park Casino staff
Professional Development and Administration
- Participate in relevant annual trainings pertinent to job responsibilities
- Meet with colleagues in monthly staff meetings
- Complete required paperwork and data collection
- Maintain supplies and operations
- Must be age 21 or over
- Massachusetts Gaming Commission Background Check required
- Must have a high school diploma; Bachelor’s degree or other college level coursework is preferred
- Knowledge and understanding about gambling, responsible gambling and problem gambling is preferred
- Multilingual skills are an asset (English and Spanish, Chinese, and/or Portuguese)
- Excellent conflict resolution skills, ability to talk to individuals who may be frustrated and a working knowledge of how people make changes or learn new information
- Counseling experience is not necessary, but knowledge of crisis intervention techniques a plus
- Ease and comfort in working with people
- Ability to effectively deliver training
- Experience in gaming industry strongly preferred
- Understanding of the casino environment strongly preferred
- Knowledgeable in the use and navigation of Microsoft Suite programs on a tablet
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk around the gaming floor; use hands; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply for positions regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status
The Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply for positions regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status.